The Hogar de Esperanza y Paz (Home of Hope and Peace) is a community center located in the Bella Vista neighborhood of Nogales, Sonora on the Mexico-U.S. border. The goal of the center is to enable residents to improve their quality of life in Nogales so that they don’t feel forced to migrate to the U.S. in order to provide for their families.
The programs of H.E.P.A.C. include:
• Children’s Food Security Program provides a nutritious lunch, Monday through Friday, for 120 children from the most impoverished families in the surrounding neighborhoods.
• Adult education programs enable 445 people to complete their primary and high school education.
• Summer and winter Kid’s Camps offer safe, relevant, fun and transformational activities for children during vacation and holidays. The focus of this year’s camps is “The Culture of Peace.”
• Culture of Peace community workshops on conflict resolution and active non-violence.
• HEPAC’s women’s cooperative produces medallions that raise awareness of the people who have died while crossing the desert in their attempt to migrate to the U.S. The medallions feature the profile of a woman’s face and the inscription “No más muertes” (No more deaths).
• Bi-national immersion delegations jointly organized with BorderLinks.